Monday, September 27, 2010

Try-It Pages

Forewarning: there is nothing especially profound about this blog entry, but I am really into this idea of "Try-It Pages" (Hale 103). I have struggled a bit with the idea of students using their written record as a diagnostic tool, mostly because outside of spelling and punctuation (which are important, don't get me wrong) I wasn't sure how easily kids would be able to track their progress as writers through their records alone from the start of the year to the finish. I don't want to dismiss their ability to do so necessarily, but have a record of Try-It pages along with their written record seems to me doubly effective.

The pages can be collected and kept so that at the end of the year, kids have created a reference book of their own with all types of helpful craft tips for future writing. These pages could be easily adapted into activities to use at multiple grades, beginning as children are first learning to write. I especially like the teacher-created template (p. 112) -- these could be available in the classroom for upper elementary children to pick up during a writing time along with other reference materials listing specific craft concepts they'd like to try. At this age, I imagine students inventing their own craft techniques as well, which could be added the concept reference materials in the classroom. What a great way to show that craft is always evolving, able to incorporate new techniques and combinations of techniques as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment